1.28.2009

Galicia

Galicia at Sunset
I took this photo on a mountainside outside of A Guarda (La Guardia) overlooking the Atlantic. The fog was just rolling in.

A few years ago I worked for a few months in Galicia Spain. This was not my first time in Spain, but was my first time living in the Vigo area. This area of Spain is in the northwest corner. It is rocky, mountainous and blessed with a series of Rias (kind of like fjords) that jut inland creating hundreds of miles of coastlines.

The people in this area were polite, yet kind of distant at first. I know it is not the heavily visited area by tourists, so that may explain some of this behavior. Once I got established and started meeting and getting to know the locals, they opened themselves to me. The owner of the local restaurant tried to teach me Gallego (a local language) and made sure I tried every label of local Albarino wine and pimientos del Padron.

Over coffee one morning at a local cafe (my favorite breakfast was cafe cortado and a chocolate croissant.) I met Rosa. Rosa is a beautiful woman who lived two homes away from me and worked in the neighboring city I worked in.

Rosa introduced me to the nightlife of the area. We went to restaurants and clubs two or three nights a week. She showed me many of the beaches of the area and her favorite places.

After a few weeks, we knew we were attracted to each other. We talked about it and soon realized we could not develop a deep relationship. I was scheduled to go back to the California in two months and neither of us wanted a long-distance relationship. After talking for a few hours over a perfect dinner, we walked along the beach that night holding hands. We sat on the sand and looked up at the stars. We shared the English, Spanish, and Galician names for the stars and constellations. We then stripped naked and ran into the cold Atlantic, after the water got to our knees, we decided that was enough and ran right back out.

There was not much of a moon so we could barely see each other naked. She laid on top of me and looked in my eyes. Even though we could barely see each other, I could feel her warm breath as she spoke to me. I rested my hands on the small of her back and in that instant we both felt the pull of the erotic lust we had built take over.

We woke up in her bed on Sunday morning. We looked at each other and knew something had changed. We had tasted the carnal candy together and enjoyed it. We also knew it would be our last time doing that since it would become too personal to let go. I made her breakfast.

The next day we met over coffee again and our lives resumed as prior to that weekend.

It is funny how sex can be just sex, or sometimes it can consume every desire, or sometimes it can make a deep personal connection, or sometimes all three at once.

EDIT- Unfortunately I do not remember how to make accent marks and tildes above the letter "n" to make them correct for the Spanish alphabet. Anyone know the keyboard shortcuts for them?

2 comments:

  1. This story is beautiful and touching. First of all, I adore Spain. Second, I adore love stories, and this one is the kind I like. It begins and ends with harmony. The best love affairs are those that end well, and best of all, END before anything ruins them. I agree with you about sex. It can be many different things. What you describe is, IMO, ideal sex. It will never become boring or a chore, and will remain a beautiful memory forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the personal comment. I greatly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.