5.18.2009

Road Weary...

View from the Rims

... or should I say, travel/family weary. I just got back from a weekend in Billings with my family. I really enjoyed seeing my niece graduate. She is in that awkward phase between adolescent and young adult. She is ready for college and really needs it. College will teach her the academics as well as important adult life lessons. She has a great soul and is smart.

The weariness came from spending lots of time with my parents. I plan to write more about them in the near future. You ever see an accident or catastrophe coming and you can't look away, swerve away, or do anything to avert? I feel that way as I watch my parents age and grow apart.

With any trip to the Big Sky State, you have to eat beef and other meats that are grilled, smoked, and/or flamed in any other way. I really like and miss that part of living there, but my heart and body are appreciating the healthier diet I can live in California. The temptation of good food is so similar to sexual temptation. They are strong yearnings for something filling, tasty, of good quality, and the brief moments of euphoria and satisfaction both bring. It would be hard for me to choose between the two (food is great, but does not look as good as a person naked).

Each time I go to Billings, I am shocked at how my perceptions of it have changed. It is the biggest city in Montana with a bit over 100,000 citizens. Growing up, I thought it was the big city. I went to college in a liberal Montana city (Missoula) with about 80,000 people and thought it was the cultural mecca of the state. In 1997 I moved to a "small" city of 140,000 inhabitants near San Francisco. Billings is so damn small. The traffic is laughable. The conservative bend is not.
Maybe I am spoiled by being accustomed to seeing two out three cars with Obama stickers on them. In Billings, I saw a only a couple. I heard so many Christian music stations there. I saw so many anti-liberal propaganda that I doubt I could ever live there ever again. Pretty place to visit, but that is about it.

Enough rambling. I will write something of substance soon. I hope you had a great weekend.
SB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.