1.24.2010

In The Steps of Dr. L part 1

Piazza Navone

Dr. L of What We Saw Today fame gave me some tips of things to see in Rome. Today I took my first "Dr. L" walk. Here are her suggestions:

Visit the Campo di Fiori for me (I lived there in an apartment with a market view some years ago). Across the street from the Campo is Piazza Navone with the fabulous Bernini fountains, great gelato, and artists hanging out to sit and sketch.

This morning I headed out from my hotel right next to the Spanish Steps and set out to see the Piazza Navone. The first thing I learned is that it is easy to walk around Rome, if you have a map. I got there and had breakfast within 30 minutes of my departure. Below are some photos of the plaza. The main center fountain was surrounded by scaffolding for restoration, but I could still see most of it. The rest of the statues were breathtaking.

Interesting Stuff in a Store at the Piazza

Piazza Navone

First Fountain - 1

First Fountain - 2
Fountain - 2

After that, I walked over to the Vatican. I am not Catholic and not a devout Christian. I would say I am a pretty weak one at best. I was standing at one of the big holy places and did not feel it. I did see statues, architecture and art that made me thank the Pope and the church for putting it here. I attended a mass in Latin and tried to remember what I could from my high school classes. After mass I went back into St. Peter's square, the Pope spoke from a window, way up on building overlooking the square. That is the closest I have been to world leader. I soon left. I was getting hungry and walked back toward the Piazza Navone.

On the Trail

On the way to lunch I found this sign and knew I was on Dr. L's trail again. I followed my map and a few minutes later popped out in the Campo di Fiori. I imagined Dr. L living here and walking about. I wish she was here to tell me about her adventures and show me some of her favorite secret places. Here are some photos from the Campo di Fiori.

Compo di Fiori

Campo di Fiori Statue - He Looks Pissed

On the way back to the hotel I stopped by the Pantheon and a few other sites. I think the people sitting on the Spanish Steps are very photogenic and beautiful.

It is now 4pm and my jet lag is starting to hit again. I may take a nap and then make a fun evening out.

On the Spanish Steps with a Map Like Everyone Else

1 comment:

Please tell me what you think.