1.07.2010

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad and What Do You Have...

Candace Nirvana- 010710

So, last month I got an email from Candace Nirvana saying she is passing through the neighborhood in a few weeks and would I want to work with her again. I instantly came up with an idea of using the LCD projector again to make a series of images that would be sorted in a grid. I would also do another image grid project as well. I wrote her back stating I had to check my work schedule for that time once I returned after the holidays.

The bad and the good collided.

THE BAD - I have to travel during that time for work. I was bummed. All those ideas for the shoot went "poof" as I thought about boarding an airplane after having my underwear searched. Trust me, spending a photo session with Candace is one of the best times of creativity and beauty I've enjoyed.

THE GOOD - There is a bright side to all of this though, my trip is taking me to Rome for a week. Not Rome, Wisconsin, but that ROME. I have never been there before. I will have half a Saturday, all day Sunday, and all Monday until the evening before I have to work. On the tail end of the week I will have from noon Thursday off for the rest of the day. I fly out on Friday.

So, here is a plea to all of you travelers who have followed in the foot steps (or paw prints) of Romulus and Remus, what should I do during my short time I have available? I am not the type who wants to see "everything" in one visit. I would rather see a few things in great depth and truly enjoy them. I would also appreciate any food and beverage suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. While I haven't had the pleasure of visiting Rome yet Dave Rudin did a whole series of blog posts about his visit last summer. http://figuresofgrace.blogspot.com/2009/06/la-citta-eterna.html
    http://figuresofgrace.blogspot.com/2009/06/when-in-rome.html
    http://figuresofgrace.blogspot.com/2009/06/arrivederci-roma.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forget the Colosseum. If you have seen movies where it is a central piece you will be sadly disappointed at all that is left. The catacombs are a fun thing to visit however. There are several, some large, some small.
    For a restaurant I suggest, Maccheroni at Piazza delle Coppelle for the best in classical food and a good selection of nice wines.
    Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, actually. I have never been there, but I am sure you'll do it right. Like Mom says, make sure they're clean.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bravo! You are going to Roma! Eat the delicious pizza and walk the streets. Grab a slice of Pizza Rustica (you will find them here and there in the city). Visit the Campo di Fiori for me (I lived there in an apartment with a market view some years ago). Across the street from the Campo is Piazza Navone with the fabulous Bernini fountains, great gelato, and artists hanging out to sit and sketch.

    Art recommendations: priority to the Sistine Chapel and Galleria Borghese. I'm not kidding you. Go!!!

    I hope you will be able to post from Rome...I want to know everything!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.