2.22.2010

Getting to Know You... Joseph Crachiola

Uncle Lionel's Birthday Party


A few weeks ago I introduced this little questionnaire and had the honor of introducing Dr. L. from the blog What We Saw Today.   Today I have the honor to present Joe Crachiola, another writer for WWST. 

Joe is a top-level photographer.  He's spent many years living as a photojournalist, art photographer, musician, sailor and sailing boat captain, father, and recent addition to the life of New Orleans.  Every time Joe posts photos from his life in New Orleans, I intentionally put on some good music and take the time to see his photos and read his accounts.  Both are very important to the complete post.  Joe inspires me through his fine art, his openness to following his dreams, but mostly from his kind spirit he shares with all he comes in contact with.  I highly recommend you got to WWST and read of his life and the photos he shares. 

Here are Joe's answers:
  1. What is your favorite word? I don't have a favorite word.
  2. What is your least favorite word? See above.
  3. What turns you on? intelligence, beauty
  4. What turns you off? ignorance, narrow mindedness
  5. What sound or noise do you love? Canadian Geese in the morning
  6. What sound or noise do you hate? a loud car stereo playing hip hop
  7. What is your favorite curse word? I don't have a favorite.
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? Grand Prix race car driver
  9. What profession would you not like to do? Accountant
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? Welcome home.
  11. What is your idea of perfect happiness? Doing the things that I love with the people I love
  12. What is your greatest fear? senility
  13. Which historical figure do you most identify with? I can't think of just one that I identify with. I'm fascinated by Vincent Van Gogh, but I also have a great interest in the American revolutionaries, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Ben Franklin, in particular
  14. Which living person do you most admire? Can't think of one off the top of my head.
  15. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? Being disorganized
  16. What is the trait you most deplore in others? Manipulative behavior
  17. What is your greatest extravagance? Spending 500.00 for dinner on New Year's Eve in Paris
  18. On what occasion do you lie? I try not to do that, but I will withhold speaking the truth to avoid hurting someone.
  19. What do you dislike most about your appearance? I'm not sure. I don't look at myself very often.
  20. When and where were you happiest? Right now. Right here.
  21. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? I wish I were a better sax player.
  22. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be? I don't know. I love my family.
  23. What do you consider your greatest achievement? I've survived this long and I'm not in jail.
  24. If you died and came back as a person or thing what do you think it would be? I have no idea.
  25. What is your most treasured possession? My mental and physical health
  26. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Being in a state of hopelessness
  27. Who are your heroes in real life? My grandparents (They're all deceased now.)
  28. What is it that you most dislike? See number 4
  29. How would you like to die? at the ripe old age of one hundred, in my sleep
  30. What is your motto? If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

PHOTO NOTE FROM JOE - This picture was taken last week at Uncle Lionel Batiste's seventy-ninth birthday party. He is a New Orleans Icon and co-founder of the Treme´ Brass Band. I had the distinct honor of being invited to sit in with the band at the party. Lionel is the guy in the right. On the left is Roger Lewis, one of the best sax players I've ever heard, and without question the best I have ever played with.

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Joe, and thank you, Karl, for the feature. I wasn't surprised by the answers because I know Joe pretty darn well, but it was fun to read them. I am proud to say he is my blogging partner and one of the best who has ever photographed me - and I've been very, very fortunate in working with great photographers!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.