2.28.2010

Getting to Know You... M Sarki

 
M Sarki
 
There are artists who are one-trick ponies like me that create works in one artistic medium or genre.  On the rare occasion, I get to enjoy the works of an artist who creates amazing pieces in multiple areas.  M Sarki is one of those rare creative talents with strong branches into multiple artistic outlets.

Sarki is a photographer, poet, screenwriter, and a painter (I am probably missing a few others).  The thing I appreciate most about his works is the complexity wrapped up in each one.  Whether it is a photo or piece of writing, you can't just stop at the surface interpretation.  Each one sucks you in as you try to figure out how each element connects to the next.  It took me three weeks to properly read and digest his book, Diary of the Modern God which is filled with his photos and poetry.  Do not take Sarki's work at face-value, you will be missing his genius.

One of the first pieces of Sarki's that I learned about was the movie he wrote, Alphonso Bow.  I've watched a few trailers for this movie and am anxious for its West Coast premier.  Below is the trailer.



Below are Sarki's answers to my thirty questions.  I highly recommend you go to his hub page site and learn more about him. 

  1. What is your favorite word? Beverly
  2. What is your least favorite word? hopefully
  3. What turns you on? well, for one, an extremely good book
  4. What turns you off? anything mediocre
  5. What sound or noise do you love? the soft, warm wind through the trees
  6. What sound or noise do you hate? high shrill sounds
  7. What is your favorite curse word? probably fuck, although if I am mad and want to fight I love to use the word cocksucker.
  8. What profession other than your own would you like to attempt? short order cook
  9. What profession would you not like to do? anything that demands the wearing of a uniform.
  10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates? You're in the wrong place, son.
  11. What is your idea of perfect happiness? being blissfully lost in play.
  12. What is your greatest fear? not being able to breathe.
  13. Which historical figure do you most identify with? daniel boone.
  14. Which living person do you most admire? barack obama
  15. What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? my resistance to change
  16. What is the trait you most deplore in others? self-righteous intolerance of others
  17. What is your greatest extravagance? fine hardcover collectible books
  18. On what occasion do you lie? the most frequent lie would occur in order to protect ones feelings. but i am not above lying to protect my person either.
  19. What do you dislike most about your appearance? the extra pounds I gained since I stopped swinging a hammer.
  20. When and where were you happiest? at the great Lake Huron on vacation with my true love.
  21. If you could change one thing about yourself what would it be? to rid myself of fear; become totally fearless
  22. If you could change one thing about your family, what would it be? their unwillingness to communicate honestly with each other.
  23. What do you consider your greatest achievement? my assembling of things, most particularly my words.
  24. If you died and came back as a person or thing what do you think it would be? a riverboat captain.
  25. What is your most treasured possession? a Gordon Lish lavishly inscribed one-of-a kind handmade boxed hardcover edition of his novel Dear Mr. Capote.
  26. What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? the loss of ones child.
  27. Who are your heroes in real life? still living? Jack Gilbert, Cormac McCarthy, and Gordon Lish
  28. What is it that you most dislike? murderous child molesters.
  29. How would you like to die? in my sleep peacefully.
  30. What is your motto? I do what needs to be done.

1 comment:

Please tell me what you think.