4.16.2010

And the Cause Has Been Joined

 Don't
Joshua Tree National Park
I look to the four compass points
and am starting to see
the division lines for battles
scratched in varying grounds.

Some are for ideals
some are for religion
some are for freedom for some
some are for closing others in

We are heading toour own chosen lines
we scratch with a sharp, ragged stick
to stand behind and look across to the adversary
then slowly turn our backs to
so we no longer acknowledge
they may be more like us than not.


Quotes about choosing sides, enemies, and art I chose randomly by blindly clicking.  Some I agree with, some I chuckle at.
All sides in a trial want to hide at least some of the truth - Alan Dershowitz
Be truthful, nature only sides with truth - Adolf Loos
Cause and effect are two sides of one fact - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia
An artist must be free to choose what he does, certainly, but he must also never be afraid to do what he might choose. - Langston Hughes

When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.
- Mae West
He who knows when he can fight and when he cannot, will be victorious. - Sun Tzu
In the practice of tolerance, one's enemy is the best teacher.  The Dalai Lama
Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. - John F. Kennedy

5 comments:

  1. Interesting quotes. I hope our debate did not inspire this search :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a little bit of everything going on. The Tea Party shouts at the govt. The unions yell at the corporations. The religious right yells at prolifers and LGBT who are yelling back. The artists yell at the censors. The donkeys yell at the elephants. I guess I am getting weary and fearfull that civility and civil discourse has died and anger politics is laying mushroom clouds all about us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. I meant pro-choicers, not pro- lifers

    ReplyDelete
  4. One other thing. Both you and Alex have been most civil and posited intelligent posts. They inform, not ridicule. I agree with 92% and find the other 8% is a point of view I probably can't understand due to my life history and other unique things to me.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.