4.12.2010

Concert Review and Hitting the Road

Candle on Our Table at the Concert

I am going to make the 1200 mile drive up to Montana and stay with my parents for a few days.  I haven't been on a solo road trip since 2007, so I am pretty excited.

I will cross California,  Nevada, Idaho and much of Montana along the way.  My hope is to spend some time photographing a few of the small towns along the way for a project I am working on as a potential grad school application portfolio series.  More about that at another time.

We had a torrential storm hit us yesterday and last night.  In between the downpours, we went to a bar by Ocean Beach in the late afternoon to watch the small cloud breaks and the waves hit the sand.  After that we went to a hip little night club on Market called Cafe Du Nord for dinner and a concert.  It is bathed in dark red colors and lit by soft lights and candles.  The two performers were Ryan Starr opening and Serena Ryder closing.

Ryan Star's Breathe
 


Ryan Star is a young thirty something singer/song writer with a huge sound and voice.  His voice sounds like a young Bruce Springstein with lyrics also like the master's mixed with an anthem sound.  I think he overdoes it a bit, but he definitely has chops and talent and with a little maturing could go big.



Serena Ryder - What I Wanna Know - The hair flip starting at 2:11 is awesome.  She did it last night. Her hair is just one manifestation of the energy and passion she puts into her music.  It is also sexy as hell.

Serena Ryder is a Canadian singer/song writer with a beautiful angelic and sexy voice depending on what she needs.  Her range is amazing both in her voice and musical styles.  She is a fun, sexy, talented and great artist.  I highly recommend listening to her and catching one of her shows.

Serena Ryder's song Sing, Sing, Sing.  This song has become the theme song for supporting music education programs in Canada.  It is a great song and it energized the crowd as we clapped with her.  It is my favorite of hers because of her great voice and also the cause it supports.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.