9.15.2009

The Globalization of Censorship

" "
Photo by SB

Please read the following article from Slate. Bottom line - media outlets are censoring themselves for fear of economic reprisal for telling the truth.

http://www.slate.com/id/2228263/


Now is the time for blogs. If corporations and institutions are afraid of retaliation and need to self-censor, then only those media outlets that are not beholden to others will become the source of truth. For most of us, that could be a blog.

Blogs are a mixed blessing. I can write anything I want here without caring about facts. I can write essays and editorials that skew an issue to my liking. I can slander, malign, and praise inappropriately.

With this in mind, here is my oath to the truth. I will share it and spread it, but it will have my own personal agenda with it. My blog is an extension of my self. I am not a reporter, I am a man sharing my beliefs, thoughts, art, poetry, and whatever strikes my fancy. In that end, I encourage you, the reader, to notify me when I am wrong. Unlike Bush and Limbaugh, I know I make mistakes and will account and correct them.


EXTRA ADDITION
"You can't handle the truth!"


.

4 comments:

  1. Well, SB, we try to tell the truth, don't we? But even we are most likely exempt from the actual truth. We are giving our own versions of our truth, and performing all the way while doing it. Of course, we don't want to look like we are being less than anything but ourselves, but it is my understanding philosophically that we as humans are not capable of dealing with the actual truth, whatever that is. So, we have to trick ourselves through our art to get to the bottom of who we really are. To get to the subconscious and let that beast out into the world, surprising even ourselves. Whatever any of this means. I, for one, am glad you are safely back from your trip overseas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Z - I think the "Z" could be for "Zen." Your comment has a beautiful poetic balance. I am not sure if I can handle the truth, but I feel I have not seen the full truth. I've caught glimpses of it, but never stared it in the face and took in it's grandeur.

    I wonder if that is the last thing we see before we die. The truth, then lights out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good article. Americans love to rant about their First Amendment rights, but it seems to me when it gets down to the bottom line, money talks and truth walks. While many of us are searching for our own personal truth, that is, we are trying to achieve some level of self-awareness, truth in journalism is another matter altogether. Would you really expect to get the whole truth about anything from a a network that is owned by General Electric, or one that is owned by Disney? Rupert Murdoch's truth is one that suits his personal agenda. In Detroit, where there once were two very good and very competitive newspapers, there now exists a couple of piss poor excuses for newspapers that don't even publish every day. The truth is being cast aside in the name of corporate profit. Journalists are human and have always had biases. I don't believe that complete objectivity is possible. But there was a time when we could read about the important news of the day in our local papers. There was a time when we didn't have to spend hours on the web looking for differing views on issues. Those days are gone, and along with them we are witnessing the slow death of democracy. Of course that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly believe if I lived in your neighborhoods that I could have been friends with everybody commenting here and on other blogs. But still, it is real nice to have a few virtual friends at the least. I look forward to reading our blogs every day and commenting once in a while with good people. Thanks SB, UL, Joe, Lin, Mr. Wood, and others who make these conversations possible. (A rare tender moment for me.)

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.