9.20.2009

Alone vs. Lonely - Revisited

Old Chair 2
Photo by SB

I've written before about my interpretations of the differences between "alone" and "lonely." I am very comfortable being alone whether at home or traveling. I am not a hermit. I appreciate being alone.

I have also written about "alone" time, which has its own unique onanistic magic. Sometimes that is one of my desires I wrote about yesterday. I've discovered that sex is beautiful when shared with someone, but it can be deeply exploratory and rewarding when it is just me.

I do get lonely, but that is a rare feeling. When I am eating alone in a restaurant, I am not really alone. I am with all the other diners, wait staff, cooks, and people walking by on the sidewalk. Being alone is very interpretive.

Below is a great link (click on photo) to Magnum photo series titled, All by Myself. I can relate to the photos.

Amboise, France - 1972
Elliott Erwitt / Magnum Photos

_________________________________________________________

If you get a chance, read my slightly edited article at Univers d'Artistes about use of light when photographing men and women. It is a much cleaner and better edited post than the one posted in this blog. Thanks UL for your selecting this post and publishing it at UdA.

Univer d'Artistes


My original post, Men Take the Light.

2 comments:

  1. Your feature is an important work, and I was honored to be able to bring it to a large international audience. I hope everyone pays attention to what you have to say!

    UdA policy is to always identify the photographer by name, so I did have to substitute the stock photos you published here. Joe Crachiola was at my house and was kind enough to help me find celebrity photos by famous photographers who always get credits. But I enjoyed your choices immensely, too. I hope everyone will read both versions and think seriously about your points!

    Your posts and your comments very often make my world go around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. UL - It is kind of funny that the photo in the title are of my blog of Katie was taken with the harshest light available. Even the photo of Lisa for this post has very direct light. I would say both took it well.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.