9.02.2009

Something New

Andrea 1
Photo by SB


I had fun this weekend. I had to practice outdoor portraits using ambient light with an optional reflector for my class. One problem, I couldn't find a willing or available model.

I am part of a three-person team in the class. We all take turns being subject, photographer, and assistant. One partner is Rick, a local prison officer a few years older than me. The second partner is Andy (Andrea), a nineteen year old starving college student. We make a great team.

Andy wants to work on both sides of the camera. I called her and asked if she would be willing to model on Sunday for me and offered to pay her for her time. She makes $8 an hour at a local fast food restaurant, so the money was appreciated as much as the chance to practice modelling.

Andrea 1
Photo by SB

Saturday was hot, over 100 degrees on campus. Early Sunday morning, the fog rolled in and cooled it down. When I pulled up to campus in my old Ford truck, it was windy and 58 degrees. It was cold.

Andy showed up wearing a beautiful purple dress and heels. We walked into the wood and photographed for ninety minutes. Andy and I then walked to my truck and I photographed her with it, on it, and all over it. She did not complain about the cold until after sitting and laying on the cold metal hood for fifteen minutes, she started shivering and her teeth chattered. I offered her my jacket and we called it a day. I paid her, she signed the model release and we went our separate ways.

Andy is intrigued by nude modeling, but is not ready to do it yet. I am not pressuring her for many reasons. That is a big decision she needs to make. She is interested in photographing nudes though. Maybe we can work together with Rick on that.

Andrea 3bw
Photo by SB

Andrea 3C
Photo by SB

1 comment:

  1. These are beautiful! And, yes, I am glad you're not pressuring Andy to model nude. I worry about the future repercussions it can have for young women. They have so many years ahead of them, and it's unsure at that age where life might take them.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.