5.21.2010

Legs - A celebration - and a new (to me) way to publish my photos

Piernas (Andrea on the hood of my old truck)

 Last Friday I saw a great photo essay by Magnum Photos on the theme of Legs at slate.com.    I remembered Joe making a movie using images of Dr. L and another model and knew I wanted to experiment. This inspired me to try and make a movie out of my photos as well.  Along the way of creating the movie, I discovered a few challenges and some rewards as well.

I went through all my digital or scanned photos and chose some that I believe the legs are the key ingredient to the image.  After some editing and post production work in Lightroom, I was ready to make a movie.

At first I used the online movie-making service at animoto.com.  While this service is free for 30 second videos, longer videos cost a little bit.  I opted to get the one year membership and made a few movies.  It is a very easy tool.  You upload the photos, choose background music from their free library, set a few parameters and then their program does all the work.  In the end you get a slick video with little work.  The downsides are the music selection is limited, you can not put in custom text/credit screens, and their is very little customization.  The video at the very bottom was my first attempt.

After playing in that, I used iMovie on my Mac.  It allows for much more customization and editing.  I could also choose any song from my iTunes library, which I did.   After a good bit of time of editing and putting in transitions and text screens, I made the movie you see here.

I thought loading it would be the easy part.  First I tried blogger's video upload.  While convenient, the output player was way too small.  I then created a youtube account and uploaded it there with very tight privacy settings (unsearchable and not published publicly).  I have a few concerns about posting this video there, but I doubt I will keep it there for long.

This is my second attempt at making this type of video.  I see room for improvement, but I am happy with it as a beginner's effort.  Any feedback is welcome.  So, without further ado, here it is - Piernas Bonitas (Nice Legs).

vimeo version

Piernas Bonitas from Karl B on Vimeo.


blogger version




Piernas - Candace

5 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job, Karl. I love the song and the way the images move, and all the legs are indeed beautiful! Great photography, and a fun way to watch it. I always believe music makes pictures appear different.

    I wish Joe could covert our video to youtube so we could get a big show like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ironic! Tendrebulle did a feature on legs today, too http://tendrebulle.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comment, Doc. It was fun to make. Joe can put it on youtube, but since nudity is not allowed on the site, it may come down. I am keeping mine unlisted and private. We will see if they tell me to take it down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're off to a good start. Nice pix. Great song. Keep experimenting. FYI, regarding the slide show that I did with UL and company, I probably spent at least twenty-four hours on that thing. There were countless edits and re-edits and changes in the dissolves and the timing of the music, but it was a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Joe. I agree with the "labor of love" statement. I think I spent fifteen or more hours on this video and made three earlier versions before creating the one posted to youtube. Every time I made one, I would watch it and see an issue that would make do it again. Like your experience, the transitions through fading, dissolving and timing were part of the time consuming fun of doing it.

    It is a fun way to present images. I am thinking of doing it again, for other projects, but include a narrative. This legs project needed no narrative, so it was a bit simpler.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.