9.24.2010

Awkward photos

Courtney 092410 -1A
I like photos that make the viewer feel a bit awkward and uncomfortable.  This photo I took of Courtney makes me feel that way.  Out of all the photos I took of her, this one keeps bringing me back.

Her pose, expression, youth, innocence, vulnerability, and demeanor gave this photo a depth and message of discomfort that I appreciate more each time I see it.  I am glad she didn't over act the moment.

My photographing her from above (I'm 6'4" and she is 5'2") towers over her.  With that aspect, that puts the viewer into a role beyond being just an observer.  What does her body language say about that?

So many other elements add richness (in my humble opinion) to this photo: her red hair, her chipped blue finger nails, her hair blowing across her face, her necklace, the angular, harsh light.   All of these elements add to contextual points that have different meanings to me depending on my mood and what I am looking for.

I am curious if you find anything in this photo.  Do you find different things in the black and white version below?  If you do, do you care to share??   I have a tough skin and take criticism as well.

By the way, Courtney is well over 18.  I am honored she liked this one and put it in a Facebook album.  You can see some more of our work at this post.

PHOTO NOTE:  Courtney is one tough lady.  She is hiding her left hand ring finger under her lapel because it is wrapped in a huge bandage.  Three hours before the photo session, she got an inch and half cut and the doctors glued it shut and bandaged it.  She had throbbing pain from it if she held her hand below her heart.  She never complained during the session.  She swore once when she whacked her finger against a door frame.  I appreciate her dedication to helping me get the photos I needed for school, and this one.  I needed it for my art.  Sometimes art hurts.

Courtney 092410 -1A

1 comment:

  1. She looks older and more sophisticated in the b/w. There's something waifish about the red hair and the green and blue. They are both beautiful pictures. I like her eyes. They form the focal point of the image and the basis for interpretation. But the eyes definitely say something different in b/w - something harder, akin to suicide girls.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.