9.15.2010

John and Paul - the power of two... who was the muse?

My Dynamic Duo

It is a crazy day in my life.  Work, photography, life.  They all are sucking my time.  I took a moment to read the first segment on a new series at Slate.com on the power of creative pairings.  The first dynamic duo they look at is Paul McCartney and John Lennon.  Please read it before going on with this post.

I find it fascinating how both added so much and needed so much from their relationship.  They both needed to be in charge, but they did it in different ways.  The quote from Mick Jagger about why he and Keith have worked together for so long while John and Paul split is also very interesting.  The writer of the series also asks if dynamic pairs' relationships must have extended longevity.  For some, Mick and Keith, yes.  For John and Paul, no. 

I think that is true of all types of relationships.  Some of the best friendships, romantic relationships, etc., I've enjoyed were short lived.  On the other hand, I do love the long lasting ones too.  I am glad I haven't had too many powerful relationships that ended way too soon or lasted way too long.   I am like Goldilocks, I want the one that is just right.

Now back to dynamic duos.  Many in the art community write about muses.  I've had a few.  Almost every model I've been blessed to work with were my muses.  Some of those relationships lasted a few hours, others are still inspiring.  Maybe after reading this article and hopefully the whole series, I will have a new appreciation for the creative relationship that the arts give us.  So, here is the question I have about John and Paul's relationship, who was the muse?  I think it was Paul.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely Paul was the Muse. John could not have been. He was the grounded, earthy one. Paul, as a creature of air, was Inspiration.

    I love the way Paul moved in the "Don't Let Me Down" video. It was John's song, but Paul did indeed animated it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good article. Very thought provoking. I think at various times they both played the role of the muse, but perhaps over time as they grew artistically, the creative energy that they shared was the same energy that drove them apart. Perhaps they were like the two poles of a magnet. My preference has always been for Lennon's music and his world view. Paul was too sappy for me. I liked Lennon's cynicism but I also liked that he used his anger and inner conflict to work for positive social change. McCartney, on the other hand, just kept writing pretty melodies. It makes for a brilliant career and much popular acclaim, but it seems kind of boring from an artistic standpoint. However one feels about the two of them as individuals, I'm grateful for what they gave us.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.