9.23.2010

Smokin'

Courtney - 092310 - 1

What is it about watching people smoke that is so damn sexy?  Is it the sensual breathing, the smoke entering and then exiting their core?  This sexiness of smoking is not just of women.  One of the biggest draws for the great show Mad Men is the all the smoking, both the men and the women. 

I recently worked on a photo assignment for my new class.  The assignment was to photograph accessories as part of a portrait.  We looked at a set of examples the instructor prepared.  Most were beautiful images, but didn't inspire me.  I saw examples of accessories that included necklaces, hair, piercings, masks, and other bits of bangles and baubles.  None of them inspired me and I wanted to photograph something sensual and sexy.

Courtney - 092310 -2
Last Sunday I met with all the other photographers I went to New York with to work out the photos for our book.  I talked with my friend Courtney, a gifted artist and fellow student, as she was smoking.  I knew then that I had found the right accessory for her portrait.  After some brief chatting we worked out a location and date and got these photos.

Thanks to Courtney.  You are an artist and a muse, and you amuse. 

1 comment:

  1. Maybe it's because these people are, quite literally, smokin'?

    Smoking actually provides another means of communication. Studies have been done on the meaning of blowing smoke up or down, the sexual promise when a woman asks a man to give her a light, and so on. It would make a great post!

    You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.