8.24.2009

Big Changes

Photo by Patrick Barta

I just read a story that Samoa is going to change the direction of traffic on its roads to match the UK system of driving on the left. Many Samoans are protesting and fear the accidents once the change comes about.

I've driven in England, Northern Ireland, and Ireland. It took me awhile to get somewhat comfortable with driving on the left side of the road from the right side of the car, shifting with my left hand. Every morning I had to remember to keep left as I started out. Thankfully, there was a sticker on the dashboard that reflected an arrow pointing left onto the windshield in front of the driver. I enjoyed the change, except when I was lost in Dublin and frustration grew and driving skills diminished.

This was a huge change to a core instinct. I knew I had to adapt because I was visiting a country where this was the norm, the tradition, and part of the culture. I now wonder how it would be if we had to make a similar change to Samoa.

Imagine if you had to make a change to something so basic and instinctual in your daily life. How would you feel about the change? How would you feel about those that pushed the change upon you?

I think some of us would transition with ease while others would struggle for many reasons. Maybe acceptance and transitions come through flexibility.

In a recent comment on a blog, the writer mentioned showing his old Sony Walkman from 1980 to his 13 year old son and his son could not believe that "it was credible piece of technology." Compared to an iPod, the Walkman is pretty crude.

I am in the process of going digital. Before 2008, all my serious photography was captured on film in my Nikon SLR or my Hasselbad. I mainly shot black and white, developed and printed it myself. Now I use my Nikon DSLR and have not touched film since 2007. I am learning how to use Adobe Lightroom and hope to learn Photoshop as well.

This change from film to digital is a core change for me. I miss the smells, sights and sounds of my darkroom. I love the detail my Hasselblad captures and the prints I made from it. Those things are part of my core photographic soul.

Now, I am enjoying the speed and efficiencies gained through digital work. Once I get a photo edited to my liking, I can make one print as easily as a thousand prints. That was not easily done with film. There are many other gains as well.

I am not sure if I will go back to film. I think I will use it again though because it is the most sensual form of photography since it is analog and tactile. As for driving on the left side of the road, I would rather not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.