8.04.2009

Me at Forty

My POV of 40
Photo by SB

My final project for the class I just finished was Me at Forty. Here is the little write-up I read before exhibiting my photos for critique.

Men at Forty
by Donald Justice

Men at forty
Learn to close softly
The doors to rooms they will not be
Coming back to.

Turning forty can seem cliché to those who have not reached that number. This cliché for men usually involves sports cars, brave athletic heroics, sordid love affairs, and other attempts to recapture youth that has slipped into the middle.

I am trying to live beyond the cliché now that I am forty. I look back at the doors I've closed along the way. I look at where I am now and see new doors open from how I have lived so far. I look to the future and wonder what doors are yet to be discovered.

These photos represent some of the realities I feel at this moment. In ways, they may show me missing my youth or regretting some of my life choices. I prefer to think of them as interpretations of how I exist now. They are my POV or Point-of View of the now.


I RECOMMEND CLICKING ON THE PHOTOS FOR A HIGH-RES VIEW. MANY OF THEM HAVE SUBTLE CONTENT.

Living in Both Worlds
(The Lady in Red)
Photo by SB

Weeds Along My Road
Photo by SB

A Glance into My Views
Photo by SB


A Role Model, Richard Avedon (self-portrait)
Photo by SB

Between Two Americans (Portraits by Richard Avedon)
Photo by SB

The Not-So-Fastrak... in the Passenger's Seat
Photo by SB

Still has a Purpose
Photo by SB


NOTES: I took the photos of the Avedon photos at the SF MOMA. Anyone could take photos, sans flash, at the Avedon exhibition. I am not trying to copy his art, just capture a part of who I see myself as in this stage of my life.

On another note, I am amazed how they placed the photo of César Chávez along side Ronald Reagan. Talk about two very different Americans. Both made their name in California.

I posted an concept test earlier. Click here to view it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Donald Justice quote and remember having read it some years ago. I also remember turning 40 and finding it quite a satisfying place in my life. Even at the time I realized it was pivotal - that I was entering a new and improved phase of life. Foolish youth was over, and I was feeling the tint of wisdom in the way I was learning to live. I married the love of my life at age 40 and spend the intervening years in times as turbulent as any before them but finding myself better equipped to deal with come-what-may. And a lot came my way, believe me!

    Be joyous at this time. It is the flip side of the A record - the B side - and B is Better.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.