2.16.2009

Are You a Superman or a Batman?

Ok, first of all, let's take gender out of the super hero name. My question has nothing to do with it. My question concerns how you view the world.

I just watched Kill Bill 2 again. If you have not seen either Kill Bill 1 or 2, here is a brief summary. Uma Thurman's character, Beatrix Kiddo, is a highly-trained mercenary assassin that works for Bill (David Carradine). Beatrix tries to secretly leave the assassin business after she finds out she is pregnant with Bill's baby. Bill and his assassins find her 9 months pregnant at her wedding rehearsal and guns her and the entire wedding party down. She survives and seeks revenge.


Now, how does that have any bearing on my question, are you a Superman or a Batman? Watch this clip and then let us discuss. One note, just before this clip, Bill has shot Beatrix with a truth-serum dart. You will understand while you watch it.

I find Bill's understanding of how Superman views humanity as a very interesting concept. Bruce Wayne is Bruce Wayne, but he becomes Batman as a super hero. Superman is Superman, but he becomes Clark Kent to fit into humanity.


Whenever I watch this scene, I can see myself as Superman then think about it and I am Batman then back to Superman. Who am I? I often wonder if I become something I am not just to blend in. I become the nice quiet "good" guy that helps others, does his job well (enough).

When I get a camera in my hand, a blog on my computer, or get into the right group of people or very special person, I am not as much of a "good" guy. I don't hurt people, but I can be very selfish, demanding, and wanting. On the other hand, am I the nice quiet guy, but I become the other side of me (kind like the Hulk)? Which one is truly me because they are very different lives?

Remember when albums and cassettes had a Side "B"? It was the music you did not hear because the popular songs were on the other side. Some feel that this music was garbage used to fill up the album. These songs were usually darker and rarely appreciated for their unique music and stories the musician was telling. I feel this music was better since the musician was not trying to make a "hit" out of every song. They wrote and sang what their mind, soul, and spirit wanted to express. We all have a side "b". For me it is the dark side. It is not an evil side, just not as naive or innocent as I am most of the time. (It could also be a mid-life crisis coming on?!) My Side "B" is the part of me that not many people get to see. It would shock some, scare others, make some laugh, and seduce a few. This side has lots to offer to art, yet would not go well with my Side "A" life and art. After thinking about who I am, I created the SB nickname I use here. SB stands for Side B.

So am I Side A (Batman) or Side B (Superman/SB)? Maybe I am both. I have no idea.


In an earlier post, I wrote about the disguises my wife and I wore (and probably still wear). To quote a section of Bruce Springsteen's song Brilliant Disguise,
"I'll play the faithful man

But just don't look too close
into the palm of my hand
...
... So when you look at me
you better look hard and look twice
Is that me baby
or just a brilliant disguise"


What do you do to fit in with humanity? Are you something else, but due to what society and culture demands, you put on a disguise that is not you? Are you a Superman?

On the other hand, are you a Batman? Are you yourself, but at times put on a disguise to be something beyond what you are that allows you to do things you can not do otherwise? What are those things that it allows you to do?

As Unbearable Lightness wrote in a comment to my earlier post:
It's true, we all wear disguises, and not always the same one every day. Maybe it's a necessary thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.