2.01.2009

Exaltation and Denial

Peace
SB
"Art is the activity that exalts and denies simultaneously" - Albert Camus

This quote is very powerful to me. Whenever I create, view, or experience art that moves me I feel these two emotions, exaltation and denial. I can feel myself live in the art, yet I am denied actually living in it since art represents or conjures other things. In ways art is creative voyeurism/exhibitionism. We are peeking into another person's thoughts, feelings, visions, music, etc. If I am the artist, I am putting myself out on exhibit, but maybe only as an abstraction of what I am trying to share.

I think part of this was eluded to in this posting in the "What We Saw Today" blog titled "Crushes". In this post, the author talks about how, as a model, she has to deal with viewers and others developing a crush, fantasies, or strong emotional feelings for her. Art is so personal and by our sharing it with strangers, it gives them a feeling of intimacy that is only one way. In that way, they feel the exaltation and denial at the same time when we can not reciprocate their feelings.

Ouch, my head hurts. I think I am getting too philosophical tonight. I really need to photograph a model.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.