2.26.2009

Wisdom from Z

Z wrote a comment on yesterday's blog. Here is an important part of what he wrote.

"Encouragement is rare because, I think, most people don't want to share any responsibility for you fucking your life up. I say make your art whatever it takes. The rest will take care of itself because it has to. You'll only inflict on yourself the pain you can bear."

I really appreciate your comment. This part is especially true. My parents grew up in the depression and my dad became a civil engineer and my mom became a nurse. Two very stable jobs that provided our family a good middle class life. The stability is crucial to them.

When I was in high school, I told them I wanted to be a musician. I remember them frowning and saying, "Don't make a hobby a career. You don't want your passion for it to be dependent on money. It will ruin it for you."

My parents believe that dreams are meant to be pursued in your off time. Work is for making money. I understand their view since they had been poor and didn't want me to struggle. So they wanted me to play it safe and reach for mediocrity.

I am tired of being half-assed at what I am doing. It is time to be something, even if it fails. Now I have to figure out the next steps.

Thanks Z(Check out his blog Any Fucking Day.)

1 comment:

  1. It really is scary how together in our angst we are these days. Hope you get to be a hero for me. I'll probably be waiting here on the sidelines as usual. Fucking wimp that I am some days. Thanks for the plug.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.