2.05.2009

Oops. Do not criticize Anne Geddes.

At my class tonight, one of my fellow students asked me what I thought of Anne Geddes' photos, I answered before thinking. I looked at her and said, "Umm.. she uses colors well and has good exposures... and ..." then I shut up. I could tell that she reveres Geddes work. By her, and her friend's expressions, you would think I had insulted their mothers.

If you don't know who Anne Geddes is, here is her site. She is famous for taking photos of babies in unique settings. I will admit I thought her work was interesting when it first came out, but I feel she turned herself into a cliche that she keeps churning out with each new baby photo. I do salute her business savvy though. I wonder if she still enjoys photography as an art, or just a big fat sentimental paycheck. Maybe if I had kids I would like her photos more. I guess if her work inspires people to become photographers, that might be a good thing.

I usually post a photo with each blog post, but I could not bring myself to put one of her photos on my blog. Anyway, my lesson for the evening is to tread lightly when criticizing her work. I haven't been in this much trouble since I told a republican friend that I don't see why he and his friends idolize Ronald Reagan. I had better watch out what I say about Oprah as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please tell me what you think.