12.15.2009

One Year On

It Started with Leila

December 15, 2008 Mission and Vision of the blog

I am pulled to simple messages, photos, images, sounds, and art. Sometimes the simplest things say the most things. The sensual world around us is so sweet and simple, yet will mess with our mind for days and make us wonder "what the fuck was that?" Those are the delicious moments I live for.

I am going to post my writings, photos, thoughts, moods, or whatever is needed for the time. My spelling is nominal, my grammar is almost acceptable. That will not be my point. I will also share works of others (and of course cite them) that I find important for the moment. This will not always be a daily blog, but I hope to contribute things that took some time to create or find and not just post something to show I posted.
What it was and what it became:
I was searching for clarity about what I wanted and desired in my art, creativity, sensual needs, and tried to create an outlet for all of these. I wrote some half-baked, long, sort-of haikus, sort-of poems, and rambled on about being randy. Now it feels like it focuses more on art and less on other life stuff. It has kind of reversed over the year.

I look back to the early days and see an edginess that I really like and kind of miss. It was much more raw. My writing had a yearning to express things I had never shared in my life. I also was trying to find my writer's voice. I dabbled in everything, especially sex and art. I am not sure if I regret the evolution of this blog to where it is now. I miss the old reckless abandon of the early posts though. I wonder if these changes reflect my efforts to avoid alienating readers with unpopular topics and imagery or just said all the wild things I needed to say?

Some of my most personal blogs shared a story of a friend's suicide, my bi-sexual curiosities, and a certain erotic story from Galicia, Spain. I still feel a bit raw when I read them and wonder of their value.

One of my favorite series of posts came from a comment someone left disparaging Katie's beautiful abundance of underarm hair. Dr. L wrote some great posts about it and that issue kept creeping back a couple of times. I hope some good came out of that discourse. My preference for women and body hair, if you are happy with it shaved or fully grown, then I am too. Both are sexy because the woman hopefully feels sexy with or without it.

I noticed many posts were inspired by reading others' blogs. Some of these bleed-over topics included censorship, sex, artist's anguish, and erotic imagery. I want to thank those who helped me carry on a conversation they started. I hope my additions pushed the topics further or in new directions.

Thanks to this blog and the many appreciated comments, I am starting to understand my artistic voice. I am not sure what the future of this blog holds. I appreciate the outlet and the many readers I've learned from. You kindred spirits are very important to me.

Resting

By the numbers:
Posts: 308 started, 281 published
6,258 visits from 85 countries
Country with most visits - USA - 3,797 visits
Country with fewest visits - Lesotho - 1 visit
Average time on site: 2 minutes 46 seconds
Average pages per visit: 3.66
Unique keyword search terms: 381
Most used categories:
  1. Photos (135)
  2. Chatter (46)
  3. Censorship (33)
  4. Candace (32)
  5. Nostalgia is a dangerous thing (32)
First photo of mine uploaded: 1/25/09 Leila and Hana (Ying and Yang)


Date of first comment: 1/24/09 Chris St. James Also first follower!
Date of last comment: 12/10/09 Dr. L.
Followers: 20

Holding the Precious

4 comments:

  1. I check you out every time you post. I miss it when you are gone traveling, working for a living, unable to read or post anything in this community I am beginning to call home. I appreciate your thoughtful comments to my posts and all the others you read as well. Carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on a year well-spent! Ain't it fun? I've followed you (and comments and photos) with interest, and am pleased we had a chance to share lunch a few months back.

    Looking forward to another year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I am so glad you're one of us, whatever we are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess you can say this is almost therapeutic, huh? Its been that way with me. I found that my second year of blogging was a little tougher for me; no doubt because of different life challenges. Nonetheless, I saw changes in frequency and content in many blogs I follow. Keep pushing. Keep it going. And keep it coming.

    Congrats on a year down.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.