4.22.2009

In DC

Dupont Circle (Verticle)
Photo by Collin Winterbottom

Yesterday I flew into Washington DC on Virgin America. That airline is unlike any other one I've flown. It is hip and cool and feels like flying in an iPhone. Very well designed and presented.

In a previous post, I wrote that I love all parts of flying, including the masochistic bits. Well, I found one bit I don't like. Our flight had to circle above Virginia for an extra 30 minutes due to thunderstorms. I don't mind waiting for a safe landing. I hate circling for 30 minutes in heavy turbulence in a cloud with no reference to the ground. I am not a nervous flier, just one who's stomach and inner ears can only take so much bouncing around in the air. Needless to say, I was happy when the pilot said we were approved for final approach for landing.

Once I got comfortable in my hotel (only two blocks from the Obama's new home), I did my favorite thing, I went for a walk to find dinner. As the good Dr. L mentioned in a comment,
... I have always loved to travel; however, I identify my passion for it as anonymity. It's so much fun to submerge into a new environment and take on another persona, with no one the wiser because they have no preconceptions about you.

I love to roam and find the little shops and eating establishments. Last night's ambulation took me to Dupont Circle. This neighborhood has a great bohemian vibe and is filled with bookstores, artist galleries, great eats, and lots of beautiful people to look at. I enjoyed my anonymity as I perused and ate. After dinner, I walked by a store that specializes in homosexual literature and products. It is not an adult bookstore, but a small, local, store/resource for the GLBT community. I noticed a flier in the window for a lecture by a friend I know in SF for an event last week. I walked into the store and asked the clerk how the lecture went. As expected, my friend Tom did a great job. After a few minutes the conversation turned and the clerk started making small chit chat and then hit on me.

No, I did not over react, or run away scared. After living in the SF area for 12 years, I've been hit on by guys a few times. What made this unique was that I was not in SF and had a different set of freedoms as Dr. L had mentioned. There is a part of me that is curious about gay sex... and last night I had the opportunity. I didn't take it though. My back hurt from flying, I needed a shower and sleep. I told the clerk that I was flattered (which I was, this guy was above my level of looks by a few numbers. I am flattered when someone of either gender flirts with me. It feels good to be desired), but I was in a committed relationship (which is interesting since that has not always stopped me before with women). He laughed and gave me a long handshake and I walked out of the store and went back to my hotel.

So, the first night in DC was a success. I had a great meal, got hit on, enjoyed the sites and people, and slept well. Today, I have my presentation and many hours of sitting in a hotel conference room listening to others speak about their stuff.

1 comment:

  1. That's really a wonderful story. I am impressed, not only by your openness regarding the man but also for being so candid, and confident enough to share it with us. I agree gender doesn't matter when an attractive, intelligent person shows interest; what matters is they aren't pigs about it.

    Your journey has had a few bumps (pun intended), but it sounds as though you are making the most of your opportunity to explore, both the environment and yourself.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.