4.05.2009

In Praise of Manly Things

At times it is hard to enjoy "manly" things. Manly things, to me, are those things men do that are not necessarily intellectual and are often frowned upon from the cultured people. Manly things are not always politically correct, environmentally friendly, and may objectify women. I am not obsessed with enjoying these all the time, but I do have my "manly" needs. How can I be an enlightened human, yet enjoy these "base" pleasures of mine?
  • Photographing nudes (it isn't always erotic, but it is still manly)
  • The roar of a powerful, well-tuned engine (one of the sexiest sounds in the world)

  • The feeling of my body being sucked into the car seat as I step on the accelerator and slide the shifter through the gears.
  • A Navy Blue Angel flying low, and unheard, on the deck at near supersonic speed then enveloping you and the crowd with the thunderous roar of the afterburner engines that rattle your lungs.

  • Cleavage... enough said.
  • A really crude joke
  • Watching Michael Jordan dunk the ball. (I am not an organized sports fan, but he transcended that for me.)
  • Opening a door for a lady.
  • Hard sex - not BDSM. I am talking about passionate hot sex that can be a little rough and very powerful for both partners.
  • Beer - occasionally I just really want a beer instead of wine.
  • Stalking wild game - I used to hunt. The sheer energy and exhilaration of the hunt still gives me tingles. The blood lust for the kill no longer enthralls me though, so if I hunt now, it is only with a camera.
  • Doing something that can kill you. I love kayaking and a few years ago I had a bad run-in with part of a bridge in the Yellowstone River. The water was late October-in-Montana cold and I was tangled in some driftwood. I got free, rescued my trapped kayak and then grabbed the stern of my friends' canoe as they paddled to shore. I had never been so cold. My whole body was shaking and numb. That moment was one of those life-clarifying times. I don't necessarily want to repeat it, but now I know I can survive it. I am getting anxious to get back out in my kayak for the maiden voyage in 2009.
  • Working on my truck and using the right tools to get it done. I really like taking on a big project on my truck and completing it. I don't mind the cuts, scrapes and dirty fingernails. I really like finishing it up, cleaning up, starting it up and seeing that my work ... worked.
  • Using a chainsaw
  • Starting a fire in the fireplace
  • Target practice. As mentioned above, I don't hunt anymore. I still enjoy going to the range and reaching out and "touching something" at 700 yards. (The target is usually an empty 1 liter soda bottle or an aluminum pie plate.)
  • Camping, backpacking, skiing, and most other outdoor stuff
  • Sitting somewhere and seeing the most beautiful woman of the day walking by.
  • Making eye contact with a woman I desire... and knowing there is a spark.

  • Drinking with friends
  • Helping an elderly lady with her heavy purchases. Heck, I like helping anybody that needs something heavy lifted. I may have bad knees now, but I am blessed with an iron back.
  • Being artfully crazy at Burning Man (not necessarily a "manly" pleasure, but pretty wild all the same.)
  • Initiating the first kiss (although I don't mind it when the lady initiates it too.)
  • Beating up the class bullies. Did it twice. Don't want to fight ever again, but still feel good about doing it.
  • Feeling the moaning, grinding, soft, wet warmth of a woman pulling me in.
  • Watching movies with explosions with the volume up high.
  • Pulp Fiction

  • Grilling/BBQ - As my meat-loving friend Steve calls it, "worshiping at the grilled flesh alter."
  • Helping people broken down along the road
  • Paying for the dinner and the movie/event while on a date.
  • Driving, or better put, not being a passenger. It is not that I think I am the best driver. I just get really bored and antsy being the passenger.
  • Superhero movies - I am sucker for them. I don't like them all, but I want to watch them.
I am sure this is an evolving and growing list. More to follow.

4 comments:

  1. Good post. I enjoyed watching your Pulp video. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. I'd sign on for many of them, too. Don't forget a corollary of #1: snapping the shutter and knowing that you just made one of the most beautiful photos of an extraordinarily beautiful young woman. Maybe not "manly," but I'd not trade that feeling for almost anything on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm OK with everything except the hunting. That is just gross, even more so than eating chicken wings and belching loud.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Z, I love a movie where they can talk for many merits about the boundaries of a foot massage.

    Stephen, I truly appreciate your corollary of #1. I love that feeling when I photograph any woman and know I have made a piece of beauty for both of us.

    Dr. L, I forgot about buffalo wings and belching. Both are great.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.