3.24.2010

Hold

The Sensual 7 Seconds (S7S) was a great blog for me.  I learned  much about myself, my art, and my world by writing it and reading the comments.  It made me grow beyond it.

The S7S started in a sexually, emotionally, and artistically  frustrating time for me.  My relationships with everyone close to me were strained, my art was stalled, and I was panicking over turning 40.  Most of those have passed and those that haven't are either never going to go away or are being accepted.  My life is not peachy, but I am accepting it better now.

I am creating a new blog, with the same address.  This blog is shifting focus to a new theme, feel, and drive. It will have some of the same basic things as the old S7S, but with out as many frustrated hormones driving it.

My new blog is not a promise to be better than the old one, just a progression or evolution of who I am now compared to then.  It will hopefully be better for me.

I heard a great interview with an author who just wrote a biography on Mark Twain.  Part of Twain's journey west was an effort to reinvent himself from being Samuel Clemens.  Part of the beauty of the internet and the "pixel forest" (great term Dr. L.) is that it is easy to reinvent (or at least re-imagine) myself.  The one rule is to be true myself through it.

In the interview, the author talked about the Twain's need to completely rid himself of all old friends, acquaintances, and contacts who knew him as Clemens.  If he didn't do it, then he would not wholly become Twain.  I was wondering the same thing for this blog.

I have no plan to push away those who have followed the S7S for so long.  My conundrum though is should I create a whole new blog, new address, everything, with nothing but a link on the side bar to the S7S, or just create changing the name and start it on the next post of the old blog.  Unfortunately, I can not create a new blog fresh from the past without losing my blog friends and followers.

The other potential source of pain is losing the readers I have with the changes.  I always have a hard time seeing a favorite tv actor in a different show than the one that I was introduced to him or her.  I would have a hard time seeing Alan Alda in a tv series other than MASH.

Maybe the reality with that is the same as artistic output.  Any artist who pushes themselves to create what is important to them will go into areas that their prior audience may not like.  Creating the art is the important thing and whether or not there exists anyone to appreciate it is a risk, but is also a part of creating art.

So, to all who read this.  I hope you find something in this new thing.  Some will be familiar, some will be new, and some will contradict what I have shared in S7S.  I hope you will hang on with me, but if not, I wish you well and I understand.

See you soon with the new.

2 comments:

  1. Here, there, no matter, I'm with ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is good to reinvent oneself every few years. Who wants to be the same all the time? We don't necessarily have to rid ourselves of old friends, but we need to keep moving forward. If old friends want to come along for the ride, that's cool. If they don't, that's cool too. I'm only speaking from personal experience. Good luck to you on the journey. - Joe

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.