10.29.2010

Book 'em Danno

Steve and Danno - Production still
Actor James MacArthur died yesterday.  He was best known for his role as Danny Williams on the original Hawaii 5-0.  I have two strong memories related to Mr. MacArthur.  The first is the divisiveness Hawaii 5-0 caused in my childhood home and the second is a family member's fracas with the late actor.

MacArthur's Danno never had the dark brooding sexiness of Jack Lord's Steve McGarret.  His character was McGarret's right hand man.  The original Danno (I will write about the newest iteration of the show another time) was quiet, reflective and tough as hell.  He did not flash emotions and seemed almost creepy at times.  While most women were infatuated with McGarret, my mom had the hots for Danno (along with Robert F. Kennedy and Leonard Bernstein, both of whom she met.)

My mom, brother and I watched the show religiously every week.  Being a psychiatric nurse, she would use her analytic mind and try to get into the science and logic of the show.  We would discuss motives, characters, and what was realistic and what was fake.  I enjoyed those evenings and still get excited when I hear the timpani drum roll that kicks off (arguably) the best tv theme song ever.  Even though this show was shared time with mom, it caused a lot of tension in our home.

Intro to Hawaii 5-0


It was not my mom's crush on Danno that bothered my dad.  He had his crushes as well and both knew that was normal.  My dad refuses to watch dramatic television, especially shows with violence.  He always has been that way.  He grew up a Quaker in eastern Pennsylvania and has a strong pacifist nature in him.  He hates seeing murder being used as entertainment.   At the time, Hawaii 5-0 showed more murders than any other television show.  It greatly bothered him that mom would encourage us to watch the show.  He believed these shows lead to more violence by teaching violence.

Neither my brother, nor I, have become murderers... yet.  We watched Steve, Danno, Chin Ho, and Kono kill off lots of baddies.  I think it was by discussing the show we were able to analyze the darkness and morality of the issues as well as acknowledge that it was fiction.   I don't know if my dad understands or appreciates the enlightened way we watched the show.  My mom taught us more about the dark side of human nature while keeping us safe than any other authoritative figure in our lives.  I thank my dad though for trying to keep us safe and our minds clear of this dangerous knowledge.  He was trying to raise us to be conscientious men.

Even though my mom, brother and I spent many hours with Steve and Danno, it is my dad, and his brother Carl, that makes us connected to the late Mr. MacArthur.  It all happened in the 1950's in a bar in western New Jersey.

My dad was home on break from college.  He and my uncle Carl, just graduated from high school, snuck out and went to a bar to meet a few friends.  The rest of the story varies a bit, depending if it is my dad or my uncle telling it and I will share only the common bits.

While drinking with the group, they noticed another group hanging out in the bar.  That group included James MacArthur.  According to both sources, certain members in both groups were trying to stir up some drama by telling Carl that MacArthur was insulting his (mom, girlfriend or car - depending who is telling the story).  MacArthur's friends were doing the same with him.

At one point, the two met up and all the friends formed a circle.  My dad had his brother's back if needed, but knew Carl could handle it on his own.  MacArthur and my uncle got in close and started talking in heated terms.  At one point, when tensions were getting really high and the first swing was imenant, one asked the other something like, "Is it true you said...?"  The other responded, "No, I didn't say that."  They both started asking more clarifying questions and soon discovered they had been set up to fight.  After the discovery, they both went to the bar and got drunk together.

So, I want to raise a glass and salute James MacArthur for being a rich part of my family's life in two very different ways.   I am glad my uncle didn't kick your ass.  I am thankful you went onto a successful acting career.  Your blue eyes will be missed, especially by mom.

Below are three parts to the episode string when officer Chin was killed.  You even get to see Steve cry.




Part 3 Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcm91wmFm4Q&feature=related

New version opening.

1 comment:

  1. One of the all-time best intros! Such excitements and so exotic. I loved that show!

    Thanks, Karl, for bringing all this back.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.