10.07.2010

Autumnal and Avuncular

Autumnal Foothills

Autumnal and Avuncular - I love those two words.  They describe so many things.

It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life.  ~P.D. James

Delicious autumn!  My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns.  ~George Eliot

Winter is an etching, spring a watercolor, summer an oil painting and autumn a mosaic of them all.  ~Stanley Horowitz

Autumn is my favorite season.  My favorite colors live warmly inside the fall color palette.  The lengthening nights and angular sun light makes every thing more brilliant and beautiful.  I enjoy getting out my jackets and feeling the cool, crisp air.  Many feel spring is the birth and growth season.  I feel that in the fall.  I feel most alive in these magic months.  One of my best trips abroad came during autumn.

I am the avuncular presence in many lives.  I am not the father, the brother, or the friend.  I am the slightly off center authority figure that is more of a source of wisdom than a source of discipline.  While I like to think I can be an authority figure, I am happy being the counsel on the side.  My only requirement is that if you seek out my counsel, you listen.  You don't have to take it, but just listen to me.

Tonight I am going to find a coffee shop in San Francisco's Castro district while I wait to pick somebody up from the airport.  I look forward to sitting back and looking at SF and its beautiful people in their Autumnal clothing and moods.

Here is a link to a Magnum photo essay honoring Fall.

1 comment:

  1. Karl, this is also my favorite time of year, and it has been the most eventful with birthdays and exit anniversaries in abundance, including my own birth day, my mother's, and my son's, and the exit anniversaries of my father and my young nephew and my father's beautiful young mother so many years ago. Today was a graceful, elegant autumn day, such as you hold in your fond memories. I am in my element and hope you are also in yours, enjoying the golden season.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.