10.14.2010

Winter

Winter on Yellowstone River
A little while ago I wrote a post about why autumn is fave rave of seasons.  UL wrote a follow up on both autumn and winter.  Her winter post asked, "What is winter for?" I wrote a comment for her that post and she recommended I post it here as well. 

Lines to Her Heart (Photographed on a cold day in late November)
We are having a very warm October in northern California. It is supposed to be 91 in SF today, which is a novelty to me (I've lived here for 13 years). I am hoping to go up to the Napa/Sonoma wine country this weekend to see the grape vines changing colors.

As for winter, maybe it is my dark side, but it is my second favorite season. I love the short days, long nights, angular sun, rain/snow, bare trees, cool days and cold nights. I love skiing (both types) and breathing in the cold air into my lungs. I love walking in the snow (something I miss since moving from Montana) and hearing the crunch of it under my feet. There is nothing more peaceful than walking during a quiet snow fall.

I find winter very erotic and sensual. The red of the wines, the glow of the fire, the warm food, and the need to be beside someone. The long nights give us time to explore each other without feeling guilty of missing daylight playing and chores. All of these put me much more in the mood than spring flowers and bright days.

Maybe another reason I love fall is that it is the foreplay for my winter. Who doesn't love a whole season of foreplay?

I lost my virginity in winter, fell in love for the first time in winter, and also lost a friend in winter (see link below.)  Winter is not subtle in its attributes or what we humans do during it, at least not for me.

Below are some links to other posts I wrote about winter.  At the bottom is a zen video showing both the beauty and solitude of winter, and one young man's life during it.


The beauty of cross country skiing.

The story of a friend's suicide on a cold January day.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful photograph of winter on the Yellowstone River. It looks so much like a painting. You wrote a lovely comment and put it seamlessly into this post, and the video gives me...chills...

    Thank you for your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.