3.19.2009

First they came...

Title and Artist Unknown
Image Source

First they came...
Martin Niemoller

When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

Then they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
I did not speak out;
I was not a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out for me.

First, I am not saying the relatively small hardships we are facing with 2257 are the same as the the victims of the Holocaust. I am saying that apathy in times like this leads to an ever-increasing encroachment on our freedoms.

A few years ago, there was talk that insurance companies wanted to put GPS units on cars to record the mileage of their clientele. I was talking about this with a coworker, Denise. I was upset with this proposed idea and she didn't see a problem with it.

I argued my point that if they can track your mileage, they can also track your speed. They can track where you have been and when you were there.

Dee Dee responded, "So, I don't have anything to hide and I don't speed."

I replied, "It is not that I have anything to hide. It is nobody's business where I go and when I get there. "

She then asked,"If you have nothing to hide, then why are you worried what they will find out? That is a bit paranoid."

I was shocked. I had no reply. I knew she couldn't comprehend how offended and oppressed I felt by this incursion into my privacy.

This., for me, relates to 2257. Let's say I only photograph implied nudes. I would feel pretty safe in regards to the 2257 regulations. I would keep my records, but not be worried. One day I take a photo of a model that is implied to be naked and in bed. Her hands are tucked out of site under her as she lays face down. Her face is on the pillow. Her expression is of bliss with closed eyes. Could she be enjoying her sleep, or is she enjoying herself in other ways? Now I have to worry, which this is? What do I have to document now? Who determines what her intent is? Thankfully, I doubt this is an issue, so I would not worry about 2257. Years go by and nobody says "boo" about the photo, but someday, somebody might.

You may feel 2257 does not affect you. You may be right... for now. Once a right is infringed upon, it is damned hard to ever get it back. At some point, the censors may find what you have to say, create, or share as out of bounds and then it will affect you.

As Stephen says, "... Which is why 2257 is so insidious, as I've said before: it's not saying we can't speak; it's just regulating the construction of our soapboxes." I highly recommend you read his post. I also highly recommend you look at his book about the regulations. I will.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. Every little mention helps get the word out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice article... and I swiped your compliance statement. Hope you don't mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post SB. The people who think they need not worry because they're not doing anything wrong just don't get it. This is another painful reminder of the necessity to be continually vigilant about protecting everyone's freedom and everyone's rights, even if we don't agree with what they say or do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary.. swipe away. I took it from somebody else as well. I don't guarantee that it meets the regulations. I gues I should get Stephen's book.

    Joe, You are right. We do have to protect everyone's rights, even those we disagree with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put up my compliance statements today. I'm not going to be caught with my pants down...whoops, I don't have any pants, that's why I need to post a compliance statement!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.