3.10.2009

Men at Forty... (Part 2)


Looking Down Upon Me
Photo by SB


An excerpt from Men at Forty by Donald Justice.

Men at forty

Learn to close softly
The doors to rooms they will not be
Coming back to.

So, here are some of the doors I want to close:

  1. Caring so much what others think about me. What good am I to anybody if I am not myself. This does not give me a right to mistreat others though.
  2. Taking care of everyone else at my own personal expense. I will help others, but I am no good if I don't take care of myself as well. This means health, wealth (not just money, but wealth of spirit, creativity, and other goods.), pleasure, and last, but not least, rest.
  3. Sitting back and thinking that I am only one person and can not make a difference. A small difference is still a difference. I have to look at it like exercise (which you will see down the list). One pushup is not going to make me an athlete, but each pushup is making a small difference that culminates into a big difference over time. I am not going to sit back and accept 2257. I want to learn how to fight that piece of shit.
  4. Accepting that I am past my prime. Screw that. I see the incredible works of Z and Dr. Lightness and feel like I am just starting to ripen. This includes my art, my soul, my love, my body (exercise), and other things that feed me and that I nourish others with.
So, I am slamming the doors shut to those prisons. I am sure I will revisit them in moments of doubt, but I need to shut them hard again after that.

Onto other things...

Last year, I finished watching the complete series of "The Sopranos." Call it my testosterone overloaded machismo, but that was the best TV show ever made. I didn't like every episode. I have a love hate feelings for Tony Soprano. Some episodes gave me nightmares. In the end though, the show made me think about life differently.

Too celebrate the show, I found the video below. It has every instance the characters said "shit" or "fuck" or some combination of those words. You don't have to watch it, because it is 27 minutes long! That is a lot "fucks" and "shits."

Below that is a spoof from Mad TV ripping on the idea of what it would look like if The Sopranos was on PAX TV (Christian channel).



the sopranos, uncensored. from victor solomon on Vimeo.


2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, SB. Good post. Hard to remember all that, but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent door closings! I can see you have gained wisdom, and that is the crown and glory of the middle and later stages of life. I still consider you a kid. I was just beginning to understand a few things at 40, came into peace with myself at 50, and became a hellian after 60! It's all up to you.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.