10.04.2009

The Self

A Glance into My Views
Photo by SB

Every photography class requires the photographer to take a self portrait. Grrrr... If I wanted to be the subject of my photos, I would be. Many greats (like Cindy Sherman) have created great art using themselves as a subject.

Sherman's photos are a great study into the stereotypes/archetypes of feminine roles. I really like her photos as a collection because they make me think of how I view women. By using her own vision of the model personified in herself, she created some timeless studies into feminist themes.

I am not Cindy Sherman. I don't mind others taking photos of me, but I don't enjoy seeing the photos. I don't know how to pose. I don't believe in myself as a subject in front of the camera. Maybe it is a control issue, I don't know.

Most of my self portraits are allegorical or representational with out me in them. Since this is a portrait class, those cheap escapes wont work. I have to be in them.

I studied under Kim Weston (Edward's grandson) for a little while. He once said that a photographer who takes photos of nudes, should themselves be photographed nude. This helps them feel both the trepidations and freedoms of the moment. I wont have time to lose the fifteen or twenty pounds I need to re-lose before doing that. I will need to figure out a way to capture me that I will appreciate.

For the future, I am thinking of experimenting with creating the male version of Cindy Sherman's work and create images of male stereotypes/archetypes. Before that though, I need to photograph some beautiful women again.


Photo note: Photo of and by Cindy Sherman is untitled. Top photo was a fun "self-portrait" to make.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you noticed Joe Crachiola took Kim Weston's advice a few weeks ago. Well, I did prod him a bit - not while nude, of course. Now it's your turn. Another "When Artists Blog" portrait?

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.