10.15.2009

Hi... My Name is Karl and I Photograph Nudes

She Runs My Life
Photo by Karl

I am tired of the SB (Side B) name. I took on a nom de plume to keep my anonymity. If they want to dig far enough, they will find my work anyway. I'll keep my last name private though.

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) has been a part of my family for over three decades. I am very familiar with the anonymous part of stating, "Hi, my name is (insert first name here) and I am am alcoholic." Where upon every one replies, "Hi (first name)." I find it interesting that I am seeing parallels between admitting an addiction and owning this blog by saying I photograph nudes. Is creating art that scares puritanical fucks a disease? (Maybe I am overstating my work's value calling it "art", but I've seen worse.)

Maybe this admission is related to where I live. Living in the San Francisco area has to influence my perceptions of "living in truth." A person very close to me came out to her friends last year and to her ultra-conservative Catholic family last month. Her friends accepted it and most supported her. Her family reacted... like shit. By being her friend, they informed her that she, I, and all others who support her are marching in "Satan's Legion." I hope I am in the marching band, I did that back in high school and college.

So I guess I am slowly coming out of the closet to admit, "My name is Karl and I am an artist." My latent self-identification issues are boiling up. I wonder if I will share my fondness for fondue next. Why should being an artist and photographing nudes have any more stigma than my penchant for sticking food items into melted cheese.

Above and below are a few self portraits I did for my photography class. We could decide whether the intent was commercial or artistic. I went artistic. You may recognize my little ceramic lady from another photo series I put up here.

So, tomorrow I will return with a photo of a woman or two to help balance out all these male photos here today. Whenever quoting or referring to my blog, feel free to use "Karl," unless you feel you need to use "SB."

You Want Some of This?
Photo by Karl

The Real Me
The Who

I went back to the doctor
To get another shrink.

I sit and tell him about my weekend,

But he never betrays what he thinks.


Can you see the real me, doctor?


I went back to my mother
I said, "I'm crazy ma, help me."

She said, "I know how it feels son,

'Cause it runs in the family."

Can you see the real me, mother?

The cracks between the paving stones
Look like rivers of flowing veins.

Strange people who know me

Peeping from behind every window pane.

The girl I used to love

Lives in this yellow house.

Yesterday she passed me by,

She doesn't want to know me now.


Can you see the real me, can you?

I ended up with the preacher,

Full of lies and hate,

I seemed to scare him a little
So he showed me to the golden gate.


Can you see the real me preacher?

Can you see the real me doctor?
Can you see the real me mother?

Can you see the real me?




6 comments:

  1. Good job Karl,

    I think your comparison to AA and your homosexual friend are very apt. The more that we as photographers and models who are involved in nude photography make it known what we do, the more acceptable it will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Karl.

    Good for you!! I wish I could do the same. It is a disgrace we have to fear exposure as creators of fine art nudes. No, it is not a disease, but it is a passion.

    I love the self portraits and do not mind at all seeing photographs of men. I wish I would see more of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karl - glad to meet a more real you. It is sad to have to fear for your livelihood or character assassination simply because of a particular passion in the arts. It's nice that you have the confidence to release some of that fear now.

    A thought about your friends coming out. I always find it strange when religious people such as your friends family react the way they do. It always seems like it is fear and expulsion - not compassion and understanding as most if not all religions teach.

    My wife used to work with several gay people and we would always invite them to a big summer cookout we used to have. To us they were just my wife's co-workers. One time a neighbor remarked about us inviting certain people to our party. I told him well I invite a lot of different people, that person over there hates Jews, that one over there hates cats, that one would probably kick little kids if she could get away with it, that one hates the government and doesn't pay all his taxes, that woman, she hates her neighbor simply because the husband makes enough money so she can stay home and hers doesn't. Hell I even invited you - his expression as they say now was priceless as I walked away - letting him ponder how he fit into the mix.

    D.L. Wood

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats my man. Wish I could come out too, but too much at stake for Mrs, and we need her income, especially after I quit this coming June. But soon enough, soon enough. Save some for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for the support. Someday I will be able to be truly open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, Karl. Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.