10.29.2009

Halloween

I Was Actually Happy
Photo of and by Karl

Halloween is a special holiday. So few of us know the history of this holiday and I am not going to repeat it, here is a Wikipedia link to it though. I like it because it is a time for us to be something other than what we are. I can be a cowboy, Darth Vader, Don Juan, Thor, or any disguise I choose. I appreciate this freedom to show a side of myself that is not seen or to take on a new disguise to experience it.

Maybe I like this because I get to be me. Maybe my disguise is what I wear everyday and my true self comes out Halloween. I've talked about a great scene from Kill Bill 2 where Bill talks about how Superman is different than any other super hero. He is Superman and his costume is Clark Kent. With all other super heroes, the opposite is true. Peter Parker wears a costume to become Spiderman.

I wonder if I am wearing a brilliant disguise everyday. Not all of the true me is seen since I am afraid how others will view me. This makes me sound like I have multiple personalities. I don't. I am Karl, but I have parts of me that are private. The more I think about it, maybe it is fine to have a part of myself that is mine to keep, be, and enjoy. That core bit of private self may be what makes us unique in this universe.

PHOTO NOTE - I was actually very happy that day. I was standing at the top of Mount Diablo and enjoying a perfect afternoon.

I've shared this video before. I really need to listen to this song every once in a while.

1 comment:

  1. Love the video. We all wear disguises. Our body itself is a disguise. It hides or dramatizes our thoughts and emotions, and we wear it like a costume.

    Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.