12.26.2010

What next???

5 Pointz - Queens, New York - 122610
"Dígame algo profundo."  - A daily challenge from one of my Spanish professors during my undergrad foreign language classes.  It means - "Tell me something profound."  Since my Spanish was basic and I could only speak in the present and future tense, the profundity of my response was very questionable. 

So, when I put up a title like, "What next???", it sounds very profound and alas... it isn't.  I am thinking short term, like next semester.  Next semester I am taking two classes at my favorite local college.  Both are important for helping me get ready for my MFA program.

5 Pointz - Queens, New York - 122610
The first course is history of art from the Renaissance to today.  I took this, and other art courses, twenty years ago during my initial undergrad years, but most MFA programs require an art history class taken in the last 5-10 years.  I am looking forward to it... again.


The second course is more of an independent working course, but with 17 other photographers.  I am taking a Professional Portfolio Development course.  It doesn't have much classroom time, but lots of critiques and individual time with the instructor working on my portfolio.  I really need this for my MFA application.

As mentioned in yesterday's post, my job situation is precarious.  The college classes are pretty inexpensive, so if my job gets axed, I will be able to stay in school.

I am getting impatient to start my MFA, but I remind myself by saying, "baby steps."  All of this makes me want to get my camera out today and photograph... something.  I have no idea what and that is a problem I will save for another post.

Until then, ciao bellas. 

Photo note - Taken at the 5 Pointz buildings in Long Island City, Queens.  These buildings are specially set aside for graffiti and street art muralists to use.  It is very temporary art with most murals being painted over in only a month or two.  I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

  1. How fortunate you are to be "made" to retake the art history course. I would LOVE to do that! I am sure just having a different professor would change everything. I look forward to your sharing the new insights!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.