11.03.2009

Ayn and Rush

Mollee Noir
Photo by Karl

I just read an article about two new biographies of Ayn Rand. Here is the link to it, I highly recommend you read it. It opened my eyes to a line of thought I had never considered, detesting and hating the masses.

Rand was someone I think I read in my first set of undergrad years, but chose not to pay attention to because I was probable wanting sex and trying to be social. Since then, I've heard her name dropped and knew she was a 20th century figure, but to be honest, she could have been a feminist, a Marxist, Taoist, or proponent of locavore eating for all I knew.

After reading the article, I now see why some of the ultra-conservatives like Limbaugh are flocking to her writings.She espoused the superiority of the rich and powerful and shared her disdain for the common folk. The rich and powerful are the true higher beings that are being impeded by the masses who are parasites living off of them.

After learning a little about Rand's life, I can see how she formed these ideas. I was not shocked that she had a groupie following that was almost a cult. It now sounds like she has a new set of groupies, the American Conservatives.

Can Color be Noir????
Photo by Karl

Atlas Shrugged sounds interesting. America's wealthy go on strike because they are tired of being taxed and supporting the masses. I recently heard that Ralph Nader published a novel, Only the Super-Rich Can Save Us! where America's super wealthy and powerful do the opposite. They combine their powers and wealth to fix systems in the American social infrastructure that the government is not able to remedy. Here is a link to a New Yorker article about Nader's new book.

I am tempted to go to the library (which I am sure she detested since it loaned out her books for free to the common people) and check out Atlas Shrugged. Maybe it is time for me to grow up and learn a bit more about the influential literature of the world, even if I disagree with it. On the other hand, maybe desiring and having sex would be a more productive weekend plan.

________________

PHOTO NOTES - More Mollee shots. The assignment was Noir with four lights. I don't think this photo quite captured it, especially with the blown-out highlights of the left side of her face. I will post the Noir photo I chose to submit in a future post. It is completely different.

2 comments:

  1. Nice new work, Karl. I don't want to think about Ayn or Ralph, though. I am teaching "Death of a Salesman" and that's enough Capitalist critique for me at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness, I forgot about this! And, yes, color can be noir. "Body Heat" and "Basic Instinct" are considered noir, and they are in color.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.