11.25.2009

"That is the Worst it Will Get. I am Free"

Power Projection
Photo by Karl

I stayed after photography class to help put gear away. While chatting, I asked my photography instructor about his Vietnam experience. I learned an important lesson.

He was drafted at 19 and served over there in the late 60's. He served in the infantry for a year, but after they discovered some of his cartographic and design skills (Part of his artistic background., who says a liberal education is a waste?), he served his remaining time in Saigon helping lay out maps.

He was in his early twenties when he was honorably discharged. He had an epiphany. He told me he realized, "That is the worst it will get. I am free."

He realized that after living through the hell of war, nothing in his life could be that bad. He knew that he could be successful in the arts because no matter how poor or big of a challenge of being an artist is, he had been through worse.

Now he is in his sixties. He doesn't regret it a bit. He is not rich, but he is successful. He teaches other photographers and helps them grow into their own vision. He has been divorved three times and has been through therapy. He is kind and gentle when needed and gives a good kick in the ass also when needed. He also can laugh at himself. I would say he is a success in ways that few rich people can achieve.

A Satisfied Mind
Johnny Cash

How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind

Once I was waitin'
In fortune and fame
Everything that I dreamed for
To get a start in life's game

Then suddenly it happened
I lost every dime
But I'm richer by far
With a satisfied mind

Money can't buy back
Your youth when you're old
Or a friend when you're lonely
Or a love that's grown cold

The wealthiest person
Is a pauper at times
Compared to the man
With a satisfied mind

When my life has ended
And my time has run out
My friends and my loved ones
I'll leave there's no doubt

But one thing's for certain
When it comes my time
I'll leave this old world
With a satisfied mind

How many times have
You heard someone say
If I had his money
I could do things my way

But little they know
That it's so hard to find
One rich man in ten
With a satisfied mind
,

n

I never get tired of finding new gems from my time with models of years past.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, Karl. Ours was understated and quiet, at the request of some of us, and it was so nice!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.