11.20.2009

Goodbye Mr. Avedon

Richard Avedon - Self Portrait
Photo of photo by Karl

Last night I went to the SF MOMA to see the Avedon exhibit one more time. The exhibit ends November 29th. Since it opened early last summer, I've been to it five times. The first time I saw it was my favorite since the Robert Frank - The Americans exhibit was up at the same time.

It has been a good year at the SF MOMA for photography. They started with an Ansel Adams/Georgia O'Keefe exhibit, then the Frank and Avedon exhibits as well. They also have a great exhibit of post WW2 transgressive Japanese photography that is amazing. This is on top of all the other exhibits, including their permanent collection.

Los Angeles
Photo by Robert Frank

A few more words about the Avedon exhibit. His photos are amazing, but it is his story that adds so much more. One thing I learned about portrait photography from watching a documentary about him is, don't piss off your portrait photographer.

Duke and Duchess of Windsor
Photo by Richard Avedon

In this famous image of the Duke and Duchess of Windsor, you can see he did not capture their elegant royalty. He felt they were anti-semitic, and elitist. Earlier in the session, he took traditional photos of them and their dogs. He learned they were very close to their dogs.

When he was focusing on them and about to take a shot, he told them he apologized for being sad because on the way to that shoot, his taxi ran over a dog (a lie). He then took that photo a few seconds later showing their reaction.

In the same documentary, he talks about the role of the subject and the photographer.

I am in control. You are there. I can't do it myself, but it is my view.

If you look at his portraits and watched him work, you could tell that was his philosophy. Don't piss off your photographer, if he was Avedon.

Another Avedon quote:

Photographers are the new writer.

Are we capturing the new literature through our lens? Interesting idea. For me, photography can document something, but the room for individual interpretation is too great. Written communication is far more precise.

Zampa Bridge
Photo by Karl


2 comments:

  1. Very nice. Great post. It's what I like. More. More.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I didn't know the story about the Duke and Duchess and the run-over dog. That was kind of mean. But I love Avedon's work!

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.