11.05.2009

Yeah, You Have One, But Do You Own It?

Ying and Yang (We All Owned It)
Photo by Karl

We all have things we use everyday. They may be cars, computers, clothes, cooking utensils, cameras, looks, attitudes and many other things. We may have them, but do we own them? This is an important thing to consider in both photography and in every day life.

I grew up in Montana. I have two pairs of cowboy boots - one brown pair and one black pair. They are the most comfortable footwear I have. I wear them for dressing up, working on my parents' land, walking around a flea market, and any other function I can. I also own both pairs.

What does it to mean to own something? To me, it means that I control it, know how to use it and do use it. When I walk in my boots, I walk with confidence, every step making a clack, then a thud. I don't have to accommodate the heels, I know how to walk on it. They have become a part of me.

A few months ago, we got a new car that is surprisingly fast and gets decent mileage. I am learning to drive it fast, shift accurately, brake correctly, and steer through the corners, and enjoy it. I don't own it yet. My goal is to drive it like I am wearing it and then I will own it.

This summer, I finally owned my new digital SLR. I can manually change all the controls without having to take it away from eye. It feels natural in my hands and is an extension of me when I use it. I love owning it that way because I don't have to waste time in a shoot adjusting things.

The reason I bring these things up is that I think if I am going to have something, I need to use it to its best function. Why have something if you aren't going to use it. Isn't that just meaningless consumption? That applies to tangible things as well as intangibles like a look, a belief, or even a fetish.

Moses Owns that Guitar
Photo by Karl

How does ownership apply to photography other than camera and equipment use? I learned the answer when I recently had a photograph critiqued. One critic said, "She doesn't own the hat, she is just wearing it." It was true. The hat was just a prop. Later in the shoot, she started to "own" the hat.

Mollee Noir (Not Owning the Hat)
Photo by Karl

Now I am thinking more about this when I photograph a model. This goes beyond what she/he wears. It is also what they are doing, how they look, how they pose, and the expressions they show. I don't expect the either of us to have this confidence from the first shot. Part of ownership is both of us growing to own the photo session. That takes time and rapport.

It is okay if the intent of the photo session emphasizes naivete, awkwardness, discovery, or other emotions, then it is important to acknowledge and capture the lack of ownership of the moment. During those sessions, we own the session, but are exploring and experimenting with an aspect of it. We may also be leading up to owning something new and fantastic.

Mollee's Owning Those Shoes and Hat!
Photo by Karl

I've found it is important for either the photographer, the model, or both to have confidence and ownership in the photo session. For one participant, it may be a learning experience and growth, but I believe it is important for at least one to have an idea where the shoot is going and be willing to lead it. It is even better if both feel the same way.

So, the next time you put on a suit and tie, or sexy heels, or ride a bike, or give a flirtatious grin, think about your connection to it. Do you own it?



____
PHOTO NOTES - I believe Hana, Leila, and I owned that shoot that day. This photo was the culmination of a bond that lasted one day, but was enough to create my favorite nude photo I've created.

Mollee rocked in those heels. She loves the silhouette photo and is using it for her MySpace promotions.

Moses plays a mean bass guitar. He was jamming out when I photographed him. I used this photo for my Noir-themed photo because I like its mood and feeling. It may not have been too "noir" but I enjoy the hell out it.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting post. I believe in your theory. Totally. Not a great lover in props unless they're real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I had not thought about "owning it" for a very long time, but it's something we do every day. I like the story about your favorite boots. I have a pair, too. They are peach-colored Ugg boots, very odd, really, with a purple edging on the top. But they are like wearing slippers and warm as toast in the winter, so I wear them and have even purchased clothes to go with them.

    Now I will think more about this as I encounter my everyday "things." I know I "own" my car, if it would just get properly fixed!!! It's back at Toyota again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. At first, I thought this was going to be about copyrights. But I'll also submit to you the possibility of control. Ownership may not be the end-all objective. In some cases, its a measure of control. You may not own the company, but you do control the assets and resources. I don't own the models I work with, but I do control the poses, location, and composition of the shot.

    I'm with Zoe on the use of props. Its normally not my gig. Every now and again, something might catch my fancy or I may acquiesce to a model's preference to include a prop, but overall, I like working with the natural environment and what presently exists. That being my preference, normally I would not own anything in the surroundings. But I do control whether or not and how its used in my viewfinder.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.