7.06.2009

A fast tour of Paris in the Early Morning

This will not be my only post today, but it will be the fastest one.

This is a cute little love story for manly men. The love story comes to a conclusion during the last 10 seconds of the 8 minute video. Here is the back story to the short movie shot in Paris.

C'était un rendezvous: A 1978 short film by New Wave director Claude Lelouch* may be the most thrilling single piece of driving ever filmed. The director, who had no permits to film or to stop traffic, hooked a camera to the front bumper of a Mercedes-Benz (in the only bit of film trickery, the sound of the motor was played by a five-speed Ferrari) and filmed the entire movie in a single cinema-verité take: He drove through the streets of Paris at five in the morning, through red lights, around the Arc de Triomphe, down the Champs-Élysées, against one-way traffic, over sidewalks, at speeds up to 140 miles per hour. The film ends after nine terrifying minutes when the driver parks the car in Montmartre and a blonde comes up the stairs toward Sacre Coeur. (It was a date.) After the first showing, the director was arrested for endangering public safety. SLATE.COM
One of my favorite sounds is a well-tuned performance engine. The dubbed Ferrari does well. I don't blame you if you skip to the end to see the romance. It is a sweet ending. You can see why the driver was in a hurry. I imagine Dr. L would be the perfect actress to play the lady running up the stairs.


C'était un Rendez-vous de Claude Lelouch from Grandes cortos on Vimeo.

C'etait un Rendezvous - Watch more Funny  Videos

Claude Lelouch's Rendezvous... from Dat on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thanks, SB! That's awesome! Actually, I did walk up a stairway near Sacre Coeur with Joe when we were in Montmarte in January, and we did see a car accident. In fact, now that I think of it, I have seen a car accident every time I've been in Paris.

    I love Claude Lelouch. He has a similar race car sequence in "A Man and A Woman." As much as I love romance, I love the thrill of a speeding car. What a guy! He even got arrested...and rightfully so...I wondered about safety as I watched the footage.

    ReplyDelete

Please tell me what you think.