7.21.2009

Playing with Candace

Toward the Light - Original
Photo by SB

One of my greatest pleasures is working with an image and experimenting. I love doing this in the darkroom as well as on a computer. Both analog and digital offer me artistic therapy that my soul needs.

In the darkroom I get the deeply sensual experience of touching the papers, dodging and burning areas with my bare hands and seeing the negative image of the model's beauty on my skin as I create unique art with each print. The disappointment or elation of watching the developer bring the image to consciousness as I slowly agitate for the required time. Then watching the print fix and wash under the soft orange light, hoping it looks even better in the real illumination. By doing this I feel one with the model in a much more intimate and artistic way than when I tripped the shutter. At those times I truly understand what Ansel Adams meant when he said.
The negative is comparable to the composer's score and the print to its performance. Each performance differs in subtle ways.
Toward the Light
BW
Photo by SB

Digital image manipulation is a new art that I am learning and loving. I am nowhere near as proficient with it than I am in a dark room. It has no tactile affections like analog printing. The physical involvement is minimal and mouse clicks are not sensual like using a squeegee to gently caress the print dry.

Toward the Light
SAT
Photo by SB

Using a computer though frees the mind to try things I could never do in the darkroom. Do I want to take the blue out of the background, yet accentuate the model's soft pink lips. I can do a million minor adjustments to make the art truly what I envision it to be. Just thinking about that arouses all parts of soul, body and mind. While I miss the sensual tactile experience, the mental growth is just fine.


Toward the Light
Low SAT
Photo by SB

Do you have any preferences between any of these photos? Do they tell you different stories? Isn't Candice truly beautiful? All my models are and I appreciate them dearly.


Toward the Light
Mod SAT
Photo by SB

2 comments:

Please tell me what you think.