7.13.2009

Oh Dear...

Details, Details, Details
Photo by SB

What to do?

I got a notice from Model Mayhem of a comment left on a photo and a new tag. I signed in and read the comment. It was very nice, which almost all comments for any photo by anyone tends to be. I then read the tag which was from the same model that wrote the comment. I've had that happen before on that site as well as OMP. The twist for me, this model is seventeen.

For those who don't know what Model Mayhem is, go visit the site at this link.
It is a networking site to for models and photographers to display their portfolios and find each other for future projects. So far, I am batting a thousand since I've joined it by connecting with Candace and photographing her.

This time though, it is a new issue for me. The young model who contacted me lives about fifteen minutes away. She wants to build her portfolio and needs some help. I would like to help her out, but I am uncomfortable working with models under eighteen.

I do not want to work with underage models for many reasons, the main one being I can not use any images I capture of her because I mainly photograph nudes and would feel awkward, at the least, posting her images next to my other work. I've helped adult models build portfolios, but never a minor.

The youngest model I photographed was twenty and I prefer to work with models no younger than twenty-five with no cap on age going up. I prefer models who have experience and know a bit about the industry. It is easier that way.

I want to respond to her tag and encourage her modeling career, yet decline her request. While I am honored, I don't feel it would be appropriate. I guess I am kvetching more than requesting answers. These are some of the little moments that define what type of art and photography I want to create.

Photo note - another from my time with Candace. This is a cropped and desaturated photo of the one below.

1 comment:

Please tell me what you think.